St Ayles Skiff Oars and Oarlocks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How will we choose which prototype is the best one?

2 posters

Go down

How will we choose which prototype is the best one? Empty How will we choose which prototype is the best one?

Post by topherdawson Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:11 pm

As at 29.1.17 we have two prototype oars and Rory, Robert and I still have one more to make each. There are also two main ideas for oarlocks, with variations.

In an ideal world we could assemble all the oars and oarlocks in one place, all go to the same place, try all the ideas and retire to the pub to consider which is best.

Given that we are all around the globe and so are the oars and the boats which fit them, how are we to compare the merits of 5 oars and at least 2 oarlocks fairly?

I think the first step is to test and document each prototype as well as we can, and get other rowers to comment. It may be possible for me to visit Arran and Dundrum to see those oars, but the budget does not stretch to New Zealand! I think we all need to think about how to fairly assess which of the possible designs best meets our previously agreed criteria.

topherdawson
Admin

https://sasoo.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

How will we choose which prototype is the best one? Empty Re: How will we choose which prototype is the best one?

Post by Robert Graham Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:22 pm

If clubs have access to a go-pro it could be fastened to the oar at the handle looking down the shaft and then take it for a row. A short video of it in action would be better than a thousand words and could be an initial assessment that all clubs could see.

Robert Graham

Back to top Go down

How will we choose which prototype is the best one? Empty Re: How will we choose which prototype is the best one?

Post by topherdawson Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:45 pm

Great idea Robert, a wee video would be good. I'm intending to share the prototype information with this oar group, not at this stage the clubs. The oar group know what the background is and how we have arrived at this stage. I'm not keen to invite the clubs to see a job half done, although this site is open.

topherdawson
Admin

https://sasoo.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down